Silence and writing are a bad combo for me. What does work for me is what I call productive background sounds. I rotate between various sources depending on my mood + what I’m writing at the time.
Below are my favorite sounds to write to:
Cafe/coffee shop sounds on YouTube
- Search “coffee shop sounds” and/or “cafe sounds” and you’ll find a plethora of options to choose from.
- Many coffee shop/cafe sounds videos are 8+ hours long.
- I like Calmed By Nature’s Youtube channel. Their cafe ambiance playlist features jazz music, which I love. *swoons*
Binaural Beats on Youtube
- Search “binaural beats writing”, “binaural beats focus”, “concentration binaural beats for writing” etc., and so many options appear.
- I listen to binaural beats when I want to focus, but I don’t want to listen to something specific, if that makes sense.
I hope you found this useful. Do you have specific sounds that you enjoy listening to while writing? I’d love to hear about them.